Women for Women's Human-Rights-New Ways Association
Kadının İnsan Hakları-Yeni Çözümler Derneği
Women for Women's Human Rights (WWHR) – New Ways is an independent women's non-governmental organization (NGO) that aims to promote women's human rights, equality and non-discrimination in Turkey and on the international level. WWHR-New Ways has been founded in 1993 with the aim of promoting women's human rights in Turkey and around the globe. Its name was inspired by the affirmation of women's rights as human rights following the 1992 World Conference on Human Rights in Vienna. WWHR-New Ways supports the active and broad participation of women in the establishment and maintenance of a democratic, egalitarian and peaceful social order as free individuals and equal citizens at national, regional and international levels.
Through two decades of persistent activism, advocacy and networking, WWHR-New Ways has become a widely renowned NGO, not just in Turkey but also around the globe. It has contributed significantly to numerous legal reforms; increased rights awareness of women and the realization of women's human rights in Turkey; the advancement of sexual and bodily rights in Muslim societies, and promotion of women's human rights at the United Nations (UN) level.
Issues we are working on
• Investigating problems women experience in the sphere of human rights and devising potential solutions;
• Influencing decision making mechanisms at national and international levels;
• Developing and implementing national and international training programs on women's human rights;
• Developing publications, materials and tools for women's initiatives to support their organizing and the struggle against gender discrimination;
• Contributing to the establishment and work of effectual solidarity networks among non-governmental organizations working in the fields of gender, human rights and democracy in Turkey, on the regional level (Middle East, North Africa, South and Southeast Asia) and around the world.
Distinctive characteristics of our work
• To approach women's human rights with a holistic perspective, and take into consideration and address the interrelations between various issues concerning women in our work (such as violence against women, education, political, social and economic rights, legal rights, sexuality, reproductive rights, rights of the girl child, etc.);
• To combine various methods and tools in our efforts such as action-research, publications, training, influencing decision making and policy development mechanisms, creating pressure groups and advocacy;
• To work on and strive to bridge local, national, regional and international levels. for Women's Human Rights (WWHR) – New Ways undertakes its work with the aspiration and demand for a world in which women's human rights and gender equality are intrinsically recognized, realized and safeguarded.
As Women for Women's Human Rights (WWHR) – New Ways, the CORE VALUES we espouse in our work are:
- Autonomy: WWHR works independently from any political party, government or religious institution.
- Audacity: WWHR strives for excellence, while being creative, bold and courageous. WWHR does not shy away from issues that are seen as controversial or complex if it sees they will make a positive contribution.
- Equality and non-discrimination: WWHR works towards the full equality of women and the eradication of all discrimination based on gender and sexuality. Employing and promoting feminist values toward the full equality of all people, WWHR is against all discriminations based on gender, sexual orientation, class, age, religion, ethnicity, nationality, marital status, physical or mental ability, language, or other factors. WWHR takes due caution that its work respects the human rights of all people and the eradication of all sorts of discrimination.
- Solidarity and networking: WWHR is committed to work as a part of collective movement connected at different levels to strengthen women's voices, power and influence. Being aware of the universality of patriarchy, and the value of diversity, WWHR values solidarity and networking, and establishes links among different levels (local-national-regional-international) of the women's movement as well as with other marginalized groups.
- Participation: WWHR strives for participatory democracy and operates within participatory decision-making structures at all levels of its work. It is open to changes and innovations within the framework of gender equality and democratic citizenship.
- Non-hierarchy: Following feminist principles, WWHR strives for horizontal structures and operates in non-hierarchical forms, working, talking and relating on equal grounds. WWHR, values the open and equal relations and communication approach in all its own structures as well as in its relations with other organizations, platforms and networks.
- Anti-militarism: WWHR is anti-militarist and is against all forms of violent politics and practices.
- Anti-homophobia: WWHR is against all homophobic approaches, policies and practices.
- Respect: WWHR respects diversity, labor, experience, knowledge, and different opinions.
- Transparency and accountability: WWHR embraces honesty, transparency and accountability at all levels of its work. In all its interactions, WWHR strives for responsible use of resources, fairness, integrity, openness and accountability and therefore maintains necessary mechanisms in its operations. WWHR believes in the power of and is open to constructive criticisms.